To establish the Institute as an apex R & D institution for carrying out state-of-the-art research and developmental activities in the area of bio-energy, including the human resource development at all levels, post-doctoral research and research leading to commercialization of renewable energy technologies.
1.To be knowledge
based R & D Institution of high quality.
2. Providing services and seeks to find optimum solutions for the major stakeholders across the entire spectrum of the bio-energy sector.
3. To support the Rural Energy sector in developing the knowledge for promoting new technology
1. To carry out and facilitate
research, design, development, testing,
standardization and technology demonstration
eventually leading to commercialization of R & D
output with a focus on:
a. Bioenergy, biofuels and synthetic fuels in solid, liquid and gaseous forms for transportation, portable and stationary applications; and
b. Development of hybrid/integrated energy systems.
2. To undertake and facilitate human resource development and training including post-doctoral research in the area of bioenergy.
3. To create facilities for operationalization of the Institute.
The Institute proposed to work on the following areas as per direction of the Governing Council chaired by Secretary, MNRE:
1. Solid Fuel laboratory: Biomass
characterization, combustion, pyrolysis and
Testing of Chulha.
2. Liquid Fuel laboratory: Biodiesel, Bio-ethanol and Hydro-cracking of vegetable oil.
3. Gaseous Fuel laboratory: Producer gas, Biogas and Bio-hydrogen.